For the first time ever, AAPI is hosting competitions in Creative Writing, Poetry and Photography Competitions with cash prizes in each category! First place - $500, Second place - $400 and Third place - $300. This is open only to MSRF/YPS members. http://www.aapimsr.org/
Creative Writing Competition: You can chose a medically related topic with an appeal to AAPI Journal Readers. Some examples include medically related stories based on real life experiences, travel related, personal experiences on campus, innovative management of patients, etc (similar to 'A Piece of My Mind in JAMA, 'On Being a Doctor' in Annals of Internal Medicine, 'A Glimpse of My Life' in AAPI Journal). Be creative!
For submissions, please follow the guidelines listed below:
1) Article should be original writing and not published or submitted elsewhere
2) MS Word format, no more than 1000 words
3) Article should have a title
4) Include full contact information of the author: name, school/residency program/workplace, year in school/residency, email address, phone number
5) Photograph of the author in jpeg, tiff, or similar format
Poetry competition: Poems related to the medical experience, whether from the point of view of a health care worker or patient, or simply an observer, will be considered. Poems should be original, not previously published and not longer than 50 lines with a proper title. Only one poem per author should be submitted. Same guidelines as for creative writing article apply.
Photography Competition: Photographs can be inspiring or can capture an interesting scene, mood, or moment in life. This does not necessarily need to be medically related.
For submissions, please follow the guidelines below:
1) Photo should be high resolution in a jpeg, tiff, or similar format
2) Title of photo
3) with the full contact information of the author: including name, school/residency program/workplace, year in school/residency, email address, phone number
4) Type of camera used
5) Submit all materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. and email@example.com.
In the subject line of the email, write the title of the contest you are entering, "Photography Competition Submission."
Deadline for all entries is March 20, 2011.
All entries will be judged by a panel of 3 and the judges' decision will be final. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.
M. P. Ravindra Nathan, MD, FACC, FACP, FRCP
Editor in Chief, AAPI Journal